|I was shaking with hunger at this point, so excuse the slightly out of focused shot|
Yep, this is now my new found food porn, I have been dreaming about this for sometime. Having deep thoughts about soft springy bread, slathered in vanilla flavored custard like goo. Topped with fresh fruits -mmmm- nestling in a sweet, soft, sprinkling of powdered sugar, and warm chocolate caramel, all runny, melting slowly over my fingers. Argh! food porn!!
Okey, okey, so I really, really, really wanted some French toast - and what baby wants, baby gets or in this case made it herself. Nothing like a bit of D.I.Y to get your creative sparks off to a delicious start. This is a great once in a while brunch treat, perfect for a special occasion, like breakfast in bed, or a girlie mid morning get together. It's not vegan (I will work on one for next time), but it's vegetarian, dairy free and super easy. And I didn't just stop at the french toast, oh no, I made a strawberry and banana nice-cream to go with it - indulgent with all the good stuff. I have nothing to feel guilty about (oh, the joys of a 90% vegetarian diet) and neither should you!
- 4 slices white or sourdough bread medium slices
- 1/2 cup vanilla flavored soy milk *or you could use normal milk and flavor it with some vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of mixed spice
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries or use fresh ones if you have them
- 1 tablespoon vegetable / coconut oil
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- 1 Alpro caramel yogurt pot
- 2 squares dark chocolate
- Crack the egg in a large but shallow container, should be large enough to hold the slice of bread without it getting squashed. Add the milk and mixed spice, and whisk gently till combined fully.
- Put a large frying pan on medium heat, add a little of the oil to coat the pan.
- While that is heating up, dunk each slice of bread in the egg mixture on both sides, making sure you get some of the mixture around the entire slice, skim off any excess.
- Gently place two slice of bread at a time in the hot pan, once it's browned on one side flip it over and brown the other side.
- Remove from the pan, cover with a clean tea towel to keep warm and do the remaining slices.
- Once all the slices have been fried, plate them up and add your fruits, sprinkle with some powdered sugar and drizzle with the make shift chocolate caramel.
Sauce - half open the yogurt pot and put the two squares of chocolate in side, stick this in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time. Leave it for at least a minute before touching as it will be hot!! carefully peel away the yogurt lid and gently stir the melted chocolate into the yogurt. It's ready to pour over your fruit and toast.
Easy Right?! go enjoy this deliciously, warming mouthful of yumminest...
Till next time, EAT mindfully, DRINK responsibly, and EXERCISE your mind and body!!!
Labels: 5 Ingredients Challenge, Breakfast, Brunch, dairy free, Nut free, Sweet Treats, Vegetarian